Treating Depression with Herbs and Vitamins
Depression is a mental illness that can have lasting emotional and physical effects, such as feelings of worthlessness, guilt, or indecision; difficulty concentrating; change in appetite or sleep habits; loss of energy, interest, or pleasure; loud, violent, troubled, agitated, slowed, or anti-social behaviors; drug or alcohol abuse; and difficulty with interpersonal relationships. (Learn more about depression including medication, treatment, symptoms etc here.)
It is important to make sure you are getting enough B-complex vitamins in particular, because they have a powerful effect on mood.
Vitamins for Depression
- Vitamin B1 improves mood and is vital for nerve function.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) has a powerful effect on mood.
- Vitamin B6 is essential for optimum production of the mood-enhancing brain chemical serotonin.
- Vitamin B12 helps to produce feel-good brain chemicals.
- Pantothenic acid is needed to make anti-stress hormones.
- Folic acid reduces homocysteine levels, which can increase depression.
- Vitamin C boosts energy levels.
- Biotin deficiency is known to be a cause of depression.
Herbs and other Supplements for Depression
- St John's Wort improves mood - among the leading medicines used worldwide to treat mild to moderate depression.
- Valerian helps you sleep.
- Amino acids tryptophan stimulates the production of serotonin.
Minerals for Depression
- Calcium helps you relax.
- Chromium stabilizes blood sugar levels.
- Magnesium is crucial for nerve function.
- Zinc boosts brain function.
Foods to choose for Depression
Whole grains, oats, oily fish, fresh fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy products, bananas.
Foods to avoid
Fast-releasing carbohydrates found in sugar, white bread, white rice and refined cereals cause blood sugar levels to fluctuate, affecting energy levels and mood. Alcohol increases depression.
Here you can get your vitamins and herbs to treat Depression - Highly recommended store!