Vitamins, Minerals and Other Nutrients for Dry Skin
Excessively dry skin is usually a sign of improper water balance in your body. This is due to a lack of essential fatty acids or vitamin A, or simply because you do not drink enough water.
You should drink at least one litre of water daily and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to keep your body hydrated. You can also apply oils rich in vitamins A, D or E which are highly effective in treating dry skin.
These vitamins & nutrients can help in treating dry skin:
- Vitamin A controls the amount of keratin in the skin, keeping it soft
- Vitamin B5 or Pantothenic Acid stimulates cell growth
- Vitamin C is needed to make collagen, the connective tissue essential for healthy skin. Taking vitamin C with bioflavonoids helps improve its action
- Vitamin D is crucial for skin health
- Vitamin E prevents damage from free radicals, thought to damage the flexibility of collagen
- Biotin is needed for the production of fatty acids, essential for healthy skin
- Omega-3 fish oils prevent cells from drying out
- Omega-6 oils help to make cell membranes
Which foods to eat?
Liver, carrots, mackerel and sardines, shellfish, fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds of sunflower and pumpkin, peanuts and sweet potato.