Vitamins, Minerals and Herbs for the Treatment of Anxiety
Anxiety is defined as a feeling of unease and fear that may be characterized by physical symptoms such as palpitations, sweating, and feelings of stress. Anxiety is a normal part of your body's response to stress, allowing you to cope with threats by releasing 'fight or flight' hormones in your system. Anxiety interferes with your everyday life, causing depression, panic attacks, insomnia, digestive problems and lowered resistance to infection. In the treatment of anxiety, the key is EFFECTIVE STRESS MANAGEMENT and PROPER DIET. Your diet should contain adequate nutrients to stabilize blood sugar levels.
The following vitamins, minerals and herbs are helpful in treating anxiety:
- Vitamin B1 improves mood.
- Vitamin B5 is needed to make anti-stress hormones.
- Vitamin B6 is essential for a healthy nervous system.
- Vitamin B12 helps to produce "feel-good" brain chemicals.
- Foilc Acid reduces homocysteine levels, which can increase depression.
- St. John's Wort improves mood.
- Kava Kava is very useful for anxiety treatment, perhaps as effective as prescription drugs. Kava has a relaxing effect on the muscles. It seems to quiet down anxiety, calm anger and can make one feel more sociable.
- Valerian helps you sleep.
- Calcium helps you relax.
- Chromium stabilizes blood sugar levels.
- Magnesium is a muscle relaxant and is crucial for nerve function.
Tryptophan alleviates insomnia.
Which foods to eat for anxiety treatment?
Wholemeal pasta, brown rice, wholemeal bread, oats, fresh fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy products, pumpkin seeds.
Help for Anxiety, Phobias, OCD and Depression - Insight into anxiety-related problems and a self-help approach to deal with them.
Xanax Discussion - Information regarding the usage of Xanax and other benzodiazepines for the treatment of Panic Disorder.